Tuesday, August 29, 2006

an excellent book

I just finished reading Left Back by Diane Ravitch.  It is very very good.  Very well written and well documented.  It is incredibly mind-blowing and angering read.  It is unfathomable to me how people could be that stupid and could do so much damage to the public schools.  Half-way through the book I told dh that my biggest fear was him dying and me having to put my kids in public school.  By the end of the book I told him that if I die, he is not to put the kids into public school.  There is no way on God's green earth that my kids are stepping foot into a public school until we are finished thoroughly educating them and they go to public high school when they are 16, as missionaries, as we've already planned.    This book was that influential.  I linked to the amazon page for this book and you can see excerpts and other reviews of it.   I have her other book The Language Police on hold at the library....that should be just as good of a read.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really interesting - I just checked the library and it's supposedly on the shelf. Don't know if I'll get to reading it - I have a "few" things to read right now - and I don't like reading things that make me mad - unless it helps call me to action. In this case, I guess I've already taken the action by not using the public schools.


    I am very interested in your comment about sending your kids to PHS at 16 as missionaries. Sometime I hope you will blog your thoughts/plans on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might also like Persecution - How Liberals are Waging War Against Christianity by David Limbaugh. Also, Bad Trip by Joel Miller. However, reading too many of these books can make you a cynic. I know. I've been there. Please include some uplifting hopeful books in the mix. They are hard to find! :)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2011
Classical Chaos

Powered by
Free Blogger Templates