Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Books and Movies for Explorers

Books:

I like reading good adult books on topics that the kids are learning about, to refresh my mind and give more details that I can throw in to the kids when we're discussing things.  There are a few books I have read recently that are about the age of Exploration, that I really enjoyed.

Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War

America's Hidden History - Kenneth C. Davis

A Voyage Long and Strange: Rediscovering the New World

The author of A Voyage Long and Strange, Tony Horwitz also has another book called Blue Latitudes: Boldly Going Where Captain Cook Has Gone Before, that looks really good.  I'm going to check that out of the library this weekend.  A Voyage Long and Strange was my favorite book out of those - it was amazing.  It fills in the gap that occurs in our traditional American history education between Columbus and the Mayflower.  He actually goes back and starts with the Vikings discovering America, and then goes through Columbus and all the other explorers before the Mayflower lands.  It is fascinating, and very well done.

Movies:
I don't know if these links will work; they go to netflix. 

Magnificent Voyage of Christopher Columbus  This is a 2 hour 2007 documentary, where they re-enact Columbus' voyage.  It was a tad boring for the kids, but they watched a fair amount of it; I thought it was interesting.

Columbus: The Lost Voyage - this is in our queue; I'll put a review up after we watch it.

Discovery Atlas: Italy Revealed - this is in our queue; I'll put a review up after we watch it.

Empires: The Medici, Godfathers of the Renaissance - this is in our queue; I'll put a review up after we watch it.

Rick Steves: Spain & Portugal - I watched this the other night on PBS and it was really good. I want to get some of his Italian ones, too.

The Agony and the Ecstasy - I've heard this is a good movie; we'll see if the kids agree!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2011
Classical Chaos

Powered by
Free Blogger Templates