Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Aztec, Inca, Maya


Maya, Aztec & Inca Hands-on Heritage Activity Book
Life in Ancient Mexico Coloring Book
Time Travelers New World Explorers
Story of the World Vol 2 and 3
Trail Guide to World Geography

We actually made it through Meso America in about 3 weeks.  And I had it scheduled for 2 weeks, so that's not bad for us!

We did Lesson 11, 13, 12, and 14 out of the Time Travelers, covering Pizarro, Magellan, de Soto, Verrazano, Cortez and Coronado.  Along with that, we used SOTW Vol 2. chs 32 and 33, and ch 1 out of Vol 3.

For the first week we did week 6 out of Trail Guide - Mexico geography and the second week was week 7 - Central America.   (I love Trail Guide.  It's so fast and easy and the kids are learning a lot through it.  It takes some time to actually memorize the countries/capitals and we're not totally there yet, but it is a very thorough geography curriculum! And very easy to move weeks around to tie the geography into history.)

We did a Stone of the Sun worksheet from the activity book and looked at pictures of it online.  We also looked at a fantastic photo set of Peru/Macchu Picchu on flickr.

We watched a History Channel movie In Search of History: Lost City of the Incas and
Treasures of Peru: Dr. Merry's Nomad Travel  and Mexico to the Max.

We also colored Mexico coloring pages, a Mexican flag, a pueblo diorama from Time Travelers, and an Aztec war club and 'feather' headdress from the activity book.    There is also a neat Inca artifact craft in the Time Travelers that we didn't get to, but probably will eventually just for fun.  I just never had the supplies for it.  There was also some handwriting/penmanship sentences in Time Travelers that we used.  We also did the explorers books/maps/timelines in Time Travelers....when we get to the end of the unit I'll post pictures of all of that.

I'm so bad about doing the food in the Time Travelers, but I bought some instant mesa flour to make tortillas with the kids for Aztec food.

I have the first Classical Conversations audio cd, and we did history tracks 16 and 17; songs about Meso-America and the Aztecs.


3 more craft ideas I found:
Aztec calendar
Mexican pottery
Aztec Sun



The handle-less clubs and headdresses:


1 comment:

  1. My hats off to you and your hands on stuff in your homeschool. I must admit I can never bring myself to pull together anything for my kids to do. Someday. Love your blog. I'm on TWTM and that's where I got your link.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2011
Classical Chaos

Powered by
Free Blogger Templates