Friday, August 31, 2007

back in action!

alright.  It's a new year!  A real year this time.   I'm so excited to finally be doing 'real' school!  Alysa is in 1st grade, Aiden is only 4 and a half, but he wants to tag along for a lot of Alysa's stuff.  So we'll see if this ends up being preschool or kdg for him.  Baelin is 21 mos, so this should be very interesting to work around him, and the baby, Sydney, is 6 mos old and so adorable!!!  She's such a happy baby so I'm not too worried about her interfering much.

We are still doing the unit study method.  I am using Story of the World as my basis, and also using the E.D.Hirsch Core Knowledge Sequence as my other guide.  I have a 1st grade math book I picked up at a sale awhile back, and it turns out that a lot of the stuff in there is what Alysa needs to work on, so I'm just going to use that for awhile and not worry about a math curric. for right now.

We like the idea that Bauer has in The Well-Trained Mind, and SOTW, of doing a 4 year span of history, repeating it 3 times.   However, we've decided to shrink that down to 3 years instead of 4, and repeat that 3 years, so that they will only be doing school like that for 9 years.  So, we'll see how that works out this year.

2 comments:

  1. I too enjoy Bauer's idea of studying history in 4 yr cycle. Last year we studied medieval times and the children LOVED it. Now I have started Renaissance but what can top castles, knights, vikings... Oh, I know ..pirates:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had planned to follow the 4-year cycle, but... first we got stuck in the time of the knights and castles and... Then we got stuck in time of exploration. Then we got stuck in the American Revolution. So it'll be a 5 year rotation for us, probably.


    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2011
Classical Chaos

Powered by
Free Blogger Templates